Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Spice India Culinary, Kopitiam @ Bt Batok Central


Hmmm....new eateries are starting to find more ways of naming their business. Well, it's a start at least. The above is a rice, naan and tandoori chicken set from Spice India Culinary. Chance would have it that it actually started business for the first day today. I certainly didn't expect that when I was ordering from the store.

This set at $5 comes with rice, naan, two vegetables and the tandoori chicken. 5 clams for Indian food of the portions above is what I would consider quite reasonable. However the food here is a little disappointing

For one, the naan is tough. I broke sweat breaking the naan into bite size pieces. And somehow, it tasted more like a chewy prata to me than naan. I'm sure it wasn't anywhere close to a mile from being fresh. I wasn't given the choice of vegetables which is not the way it usually works. The cauliflowers were decent, but I hated the peas. It's got more to do with personal preference than how it is cooked. I just didn't like hard crunchy peas on the side. And I would have had nothing to say about the peas if I were asked what vegetables on the side I preferred because I wouldn't have picked them. The tandoori chicken, though palatable was not real tandoori chicken. Tasted like fried chicken that's marinated tandoori sauce. The meat was simply just dry with little taste apart from the exterior. I can almost swear it's just red fried chicken.

On a more positive note, the ghee rice was quite decent. There's a bowl of white stuff which tasted milky and sweet. No it's not yoghurt if you're guessing from the picture. And it's filled with what I made out to be bee hoon. Hmmm.....if anyone knows what it is, please drop me a note.

No comments: