Monday, January 15, 2007

Waraku, Starhub Centre


The last time I visited Waraku was last September. Today's visit also marked my first at the restaurant that isn't in Marina Square. And they have new items on the menu which I haven't seen before like spinach cream udons.

I ended up with something which is rather mundane because it looked pleasing on the menu. I know I shouldn't be trusting those Photoshopped images. Here's the Sakura set, mentako yaki and some fried vegetable & squid thingy which I have forgotten what it's called .

sakura set

mentaiko yaki


The Sakura comes with a bowl of creamy soup udon and scallops, a bowl of rice with shredded egg and salmon roe and a side of pickles. This is one of those occasions where I didn't finish up because there was too much to be had. The carb alarm must have gone off and somehow, I missed it. Rice, udon and that creamy soup..... . Between the rice and the udon, I actually think that the former was tastier with the salmon roe injecting flavor into the rice and eggs. As for the bowl of udon, the main draw for me was actually just the scallops. I found the udon much to chewy and thick. Which probably is a preferential thing as they're not poorly done. I just don't think I'm an udon person.

The menu describes the mentaiko yaki as burnt cod roe which seems to be pretty accurate of how the roe was served. The skin of the roe was dry with some char marks. In the department of taste, I've run out of interesting descriptions. It's salted cod roe that's been slighly charred. I'm sure one can imagine how that would be like. Unlike the one at Aoki which was not fully cooked, the roe here held it's shape firmly when pressure was applied. The texture of the eggs were however more grainy. The fried vegetable & squid cake tastes exactly like how it looked.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This question is totally unrelated to the post, but I've been wondering for quite sometime now, so I've gotta ask.

Why did you put a pix of popcorn along with your blog's smallpotatoesmakethesteaklookbigger title??

Is it coz tiny popcorn make the title look bigger?

LiquidShaDow said...

The popcorn doesn't really have anything to do with the site. It actually comes with the theme and I picked this because it looked like it has a better color scheme then the standard templates and it's a subtle reference to what I do elsewhere. I think some of the people who know me will probably get it. ;)

Anonymous said...

You...make popcorn at Golden Village?

No, that would be a not-so-subtle reference. You're corny? You trade corn?

People who know him, please spill the beans...or corn :P

D said...

Did you dine here when it was Sento? I don't know but just feel that the food was alot better before Waraku took over. Apparently, they claim the chefs are the same but I don't know hey. Maybe it's a psychological thing.

LiquidShaDow said...

Nope, D. I haven't. I have only gotten to know of this outlet a couple of months back. All my previous visits were at the Marina Sq outlet and for some time, I thought it was the only one until I started reading other food blogs.