Sunday, June 03, 2007

Pasta de Waraku, Central


I wonder at the term 'Japanese casual pasta'. Waraku seems to be expanding their line of Japanese restaurants. In that, they also appear to be venturing beyond what their original establishments serve. This one is obviously about pasta. I'm generally favourably disposed with Japanese western food since Ma Maison. I think they get it. They also understand the concept of al dente pasta better than most local shops. What's different here are the sauces and toppings which have a specific variety that makes them distinctly Japanese.
 

Like bonito ponzu sauces.
 
complimentary salad with more of that ponzu sauce

oyster & bacon carbonara

spaghetti al nero di seppia

scallop and prawn pizza

The gripe I had were their oysters. Those were just bad. Weren't fresh tasting at all and I'm disappointed that it was of so poor quality. The sauce was not one of the better carbonara I've had but it was smokey. Of the two pastas, the spaghetti al nero di seppia was the winner in terms of taste. Pizza was also pretty good. The crust was impressively thin and fragrantly crispy. Thin like Japanese rice crackers with charred cheese topping, crunchy prawns and scallops big enough to be identifiable as scallops. I recommend it.
 

1 comment:

Miss Tam Chiak said...

hello! interesting review! i have added a link of this post to my blog! :)