Friday, February 29, 2008

7th Storey Restaurant, Rochor Road

I don't really remember how I came to learn of this inconspicuous place (New 7th Storey Hotel, 228/229 Rochor Road, S188451) down in the vicinity of Bugis, but I'm guessing that I must have read it off somewhere that there's chicken rice to be had at the restaurant and that it was suppose to be good or at least better than the usual. I recall having had a disappointing steamboat at the back of the building once a long time back, but little did I realise that there was actually a restaurant apart from the backyard. Does anyone know why is there the mention of Honjin on the paper sheaths on their chopsticks here?


There is only the steamed variety of chicken to be had as well as a bunch of other dishes that can be ordered from the menu. We got a small portion of the chicken, sambal kangkong and marmite pork ribs, along with the chicken rice.


The chicken that is served here in honesty, isn't really special compared to other stalls which I've had. Sure the dense flesh was tender, slightly chilled and had a nice thin skin that didn't contain excessive fats. It was in the end something that I probably will not return for in favor of other stalls that I've had. Quite a few of which I think are equally tasty, if not better. The steaming hot rice was more heavily accented in ginger than garlic which isn't exactly something that I'm fond of. The same is said for the chilli which was just moderately spicy, but just a tad too much ginger for me to really get into. The sambal kangkong came freshly crunchy and is otherwise quite unremarkable. I had expected the marmite chicken to taste of marmite, but it was just some sweetish pork ribs and was definitely far from the best of these stir fried pork ribs which I've eaten, flavoring aside. I guess this is one place I won't be re-visiting anytime soon if ever.

No comments: