Saturday, April 05, 2008

Mad Jack Cafe, Bukit Timah


After having walked by this place (6 Dukes Road, tel : 6462 4300) near the junction of Bukit Timah and Farrer Road where Serene Centre is located numerous times in the past, I've finally decided to head in and see what the foods about in this place. I had an idea of what to expect from this place from all the signs that are visible at the front of the shop, but still I was thinking that, who knows? It might surprise me. As to that, I was both wrong and right.

The regular fish and chips ($7.90) at this place was surprisingly, pretty good. There was a garoupa option for the fish that was about twice as expensive which I didn't have because I didn't have any idea if that was really worth the extras compared to this regular version which was already rather enjoyable. The crispy batter being both thin and light turned out to be quite pleasant. I didn't expect to see vinegar in this place as well but it was available along with tartare sauce. The side option for the fish and chips were either fries or mushroom rice. I was glad we picked the mushroom rice option as this turned out to be another unsuspectingly tasty item. The rice was actually infused with the flavor of mushroom and lightly peppered, resulting in it being quite delectable. I must comment that the portions were a little small.


There's a mixed fries order ($4.50) available as a side that comes slathered with mayonnaise and cheese sauce. I'm not really a fan of mayo but I thought that the fries in this place turned out to be pretty good.... and heart clogging. They're called mixed fries as half of them are regular fries and the other half are "spiced" with some seasoning. There was also an additional dollar of extra charge if you decided that you want them all spicy instead of mixed while they didn't say anything if you opted for no mayo. That's bad karma for them to me.

And to tumble further downhill, the Blue Diamond burger that cost about half of what is charged for a burger at Relish, which they claimed to be the tallest burger in town was really, quite disappointing. Obviously, they've either disregarded or have not heard of Botak Jones to make that claim. Heh! The thin and crumbly patty is saturated with fillers and I thought it's probably just 40% meat at best with the others being flour, onion and carrots. Doused with some mayo and other unknown sauces, this becomes one of those unidentifiable meat substances which fared worse than Ramly burgers. If you're a fan of burgers, you're advised to steer clear of this gimmick. If I can't eat it with my hands, it's a failure. Stick to the fish and chips. And plain water is 50 cents here.

No comments: