Sunday, December 07, 2008

Five Star Hainanese Chicken Rice, Bt Timah

Five Star Hainanese Chicken Rice, Bt Timah

I had almost missed this place (6/7 Cheong Chin Nam Road, tel : 6466 3000) walking past despite knowing roughly where it was located since I had noticed it on numerous occasions previously. Five Star certainly didn't look like a very chicken rice place at all now that I've taken a much closer look with the plethora of other cze char items found on the menu.
  Five Star Hainanese Chicken Rice, Bt Timah

Five Star Hainanese Chicken Rice, Bt TimahI don't know if all that diversification is doing the place much good for their core specialty since everything else looked pretty mundane and for a place that is supposedly well known for their chicken rice, it was nothing outstanding in my books. Now I'm not saying that it's bad but I don't suppose I would head out here again or even think about wanting to have chicken rice when I'm in the vicinity. The preserved vegetable with pork (mei chai kou rou) wasn't quite what I had hoped soaked in that mildly viscous gravy. There are places that have diversified and done a much better job at the preservation of their core dish. I'm surprised that no one has ever mentioned that their chilli sauce is way too salty.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

just came to know about your wonderful blog today. Honestly, I am missing Singapore food and being a Hainaese, I really do miss Hainanese chicken rice. I wont know when I will get a chance to go back to Singapore again and enjoy the great Singaporea food!

very interesting blog, keep it up.

Magdalene

HairyBerry said...

i agree, dude. had dinner here before and thought the chicken was overrated. well, the good part being the efficient service.

i prefer tian tian at maxwell.

LiquidShaDow said...

Hi Magdalene, thanks for dropping by. I could always do with recommendations of good Hainanese chicken rice here.

Nic,
yeap I would agree than Tian Tian would be preferable in taste than 5 Star anytime.