Saturday, August 14, 2010

Good Chance Popiah Eating House, Silat Avenue

Good Chance Popiah

I remember having had poh piah that you had to roll yourself ages ago but can't for my life remember when or where it was. Recently, I had a poh piah craving and it lead me to this old shop (Blk 149 Silat Ave, #01-58, tel : +65 6271 0698) which is a family business being run by the third generation. There was definitely an air of old school about the place from the decor to the food presentation - or lack of. 

The main stay of the business which was poh piah is served deconstructed. Portions are determined according to estimated number of people eating them. What they offered were just the basic ingredients for the spring rolls. Extras like shrimp or lup cheong were add ons that you had to pay extra for. It wasn't really cheap poh piah here.

Good Chance Popiah

This was my first attempt at constructing the spring roll as I can recall. Without prior experience, I made them as I remembered from how they were prepared stalls when I bought them. It's actually easy peasy.

Good Chance Popiah

And this turned out to be a successful wrap. Shovel in too much fillings and the tends to skin break apart as they are rolled up, so don't. The stewed vegetables tasted quite different from the regular spring rolls outside and the chilli paste here was tongue prickingly awesome.

Good Chance Popiah

These hay cho (prawn ball fritters) were also a signature from the restaurant. Tasted not bad as they were freshly fried.

Good Chance Popiah

Their otah awesome item number two. While I couldn't identify the ingredients, I thought they had just the right combination of flavours and noticeable bits of fish meat. What made these steamed otahs good as well, was that they were actually spicy.

Good Chance Popiah

The yam fish head soup tasted unexpectedly bland. There were bits of yam which were boiled to the point where they were starting to disintegrate. I'm not sure what to make of this dish. Maybe the idea here was for it to be a light tasting soup.

Good Chance Popiah

To complete with a carb, we ordered a portion of their traditional dark Hokkien mee. To indulging in a little euphemism, I'd say that it tasted great with a generous slosh of vinegar. The original flavour weren't the least robust. Most of it came from the bits of garlic. Didn't hold a candle to the lard laden and much darker renditions that I've tried in Kuala Lumpur.

No comments: