Saturday, August 14, 2010

Good Chance Pohpiah Eating House, Silat Avenue


I remember having had these poh piah that you had to roll yourself ages ago but can't for my life remember when or where it was at. Recently, I had a poh piah craving and it lead me to this old establishment (Blk 149 Silat Ave, #01-58, tel : +65 6271 0698) which is a family business being run by the third generation.

There was definitely an air of old school about the place from the decor to the food presentation, or lack of. The main stay of the business which is poh piah, comes deconstructed in their main ingredients and are served by portions according to estimated number of people eating them. What was offered were just the basic ingredients and extras like shrimp and lup cheong were add ons that you had to pay extra for. It wasn't really cheap poh piah you're looking at here.


This was actually my first remember attempt at constructing the spring roll as I can remember. Without prior experience, I made them as I remembered from how they were built from stalls when I bought them. It's actually easy peasy.


And this turned out to be a successful wrap without my greed shoveling too much fillings and having the skin break apart as I rolled them up. What I remember from it, are that the stewed vegetables tasted quite different from the regular spring rolls that are sold outside and the chilli paste here was tongue prickingly awesome.


These hay cho (prawn ball fritters) were also a signature from the restaurant, and they did taste pretty decent as they were freshly fried.


Their otah would be awesome item number two. I'm not good with identifying what goes in to make them, but these types had just the right combination of flavors and noticeable traces of fish bits to make them very delectable. Another plus point for me is that these steamed otahs were actually spicy.


The yam fish head soup tasted unexpectedly bland. Apart from the bits of yam which were boiled to the point where they were starting to become really soft and disintegrating, I couldn't really find any redeeming quality about this particular dish. Maybe the idea here is for it to be a light tasting soup.


To top off, we ordered a portion of their traditional dark hokkien mee. Indulging in a little euphemism, I would have to say that it tasted great with a generous slosh of vinegar. The flavors weren't the least robust and the bits of garlic were pretty much most of all there was, to the flavors. Certainly doesn't hold a candle to the lard laden and much darker renditions that I've eaten in Kuala Lumpur.

No comments: