Thursday, March 29, 2012

Classified, Exchange Square Podium, Central, Hong Kong


This place (Shop 313, 3/F Exchange Square Podium, 8 Connaught Place, Central, Hong Kong, tel : +852-2147 3454) wasn't too bad at all. I think I've found myself a new joint for casual ang moh food to like when in Hong Kong.

What was this place? From what I could make out of it, a cafe that also does artisanal cheeses with what felt to me was good sandwiches. Both of the latter right up my alley.

We started off with their baked Camembert with truffle which was really also gently perfumed with roasted garlic and rosemary. To my surprise, they actually managed to pull off a balance in the aromatics that they had applied to the baked cheese. That all of the flavours somehow worked without contention. If I could have my way about this, I would have done without the rosemary. The runny cheese was definitely a great spread with their poppy seed and sesame laced sourdough slices.


The grilled steak sandwich reeled me in with descriptives like Rocquefort butter. Well, the butter did arrive late, but lived up to its namesake which made an excellent spread.

I was initially wondering how I could have eaten this thick ribeye (medium doneness, no less!) sandwich with my hands without spillage (yes, the onion chutney there!) and unhinging of my jaws, but I gave up after a modicum of token effort and stuck with it open faced with fork and knife. Thanks to my less barbaric method of eating, I was left with the top cover of the sandwich to enjoy the Rocquefort butter with.


Their burger was simply known as the Classifed burger. Was probably hands down, one of the best burgers I've had for that price point. For HKD 96, one got a nice grilled patty of hand chopped beef topped with Swiss cheese, English back bacon between sourdough crusted with black and white sesame and poppy seed.

The meat (of specifiable medium doneness) was sufficiently juicy and flavoruful (of both the meat and the char grill) and for what was charged, there is nothing, I mean absolutely nothing in back home that can match it at this point of writing.


And a cappucino - which was decent if unexceptional with competently done foam to wash down the brunch.


Think I might make wanna come back again the next time I visit.

No comments: