Sunday, September 23, 2012

Tapas at 126

Wan Tou Sek (126 Eating House, 126 Sims Ave, tel : +65 67464757, +65 67454869) is a local hotspot for rustic dim sum that has somehow managed to evade my mentions until now even though I've had visited on a few occasions. The draw of the location comes from the fact that it's open 24 hours daily and the offerings have no lacking in variety. Here's a short on one of the visits which pretty much just scratches the surface of the menu.

century egg porridge

A staple in dim sum joints, but I find myself liking this quite a bit. What I particular enjoy is the light clarity of rice perfumed with sesame oil and scatterings of the spring onions. There's pretty generous portions of century eggs in there as well.

char siew bao

Another main stay of dim sums. The taste of the barbequed pork fillings is nicely caramelised with sweetness and slightly smokey. Definitely not mediocre like some.

pork belly rolls

The skins of these are the same flour used for the char siew pau. Those are rolled thinly into strips of sweet marinated pork belly and steamed to the point where the fat is soft and melting. Definitely to be enjoyed hot.

steamed chicken claws

These sweet and savory steamed claws weren't shabby at all. The soft and flavorful skin came off the bone pretty easily.

chee cheong fun

I believe the sweetish brown gravy for the rice rolls at 126 are unique. I've never had them anywhere else and they're one of the main reasons why I like them here. Another item to be enjoyed piping hot.

steamed pork ribs

Pork ribs here bolstered by fatty meat and lots of garlic.

otah

The steaming otahs here are spicy, lemongrassy and packed with fish meat. Need I say, delicious?

glutinous rice

I was initially a little wary of the glutinous rice since they appeared dry rather than plump and moist. Upon first taste, I found them to be a very nicely done rendition. The fried shallots merely added flavor upon flavors.

deceptively named as just steamed chicken

This was just described as steam chicken which was really a injustice to a steamed chicken that was cooked to the point where the meat was tender and easily fell off the bone. There was a nicely balanced herbalicious sweetness that was present in the meat and the jus acumulated at the base. Great dish to order with rice.

deep fried frog legs

I think I've found the frog leg rendition of Ikea's deep fried chicken wings here. The flavoring of the fried exterior were deliciously savory.

  
deep fried pig intestines

Crispy, savory and chewy these are altogether. With the flavors that intestines impart. Definitely one of my favorite things to order here.

No comments: