Monday, July 07, 2014

Mr Teh Tarik, Ang Mo Kio Ave. 5

Mr Teh Tarik, fish soup rice

This place sure brought back memories because an old friend used to live in the vicinity and also that, this was where Small Potatoes first started! To add on to the trivia when Botak Jones ended their tenantship (is that a word?), Charco's the Flaming Chicken took over. Though I do seem to recall that they had also left at some point as well, Charco's is easily and oddly, tops in page viewership on this blog. I know because Google says so and I didnt think they would lie about it. So I haven't been back here for a really long while and behold, it's Mr Teh Tarik (608 Ang Mo Kio Ave 5, #01-2771) today. A name that I remember from getting teh tarik at the outlet at Far East Square. This was however, a Muslim coffeeshop.

Mr Teh Tarik, sambal kang kong

I hadn't a chance to explore much in this first visit, but I really dug the sup ikan stall which served a generous portion of piping hot fish soup prepared with an unabashedly generous dash of Carnation milk soul. It's been a while since I've watched someone make fish soup and tell myself 'hey, this looks so street food!'. The ritual of preparation wholly lacks pretence and knowing what to expect, I thought the soup rocked. The sliced ikan tenggiri was fresh and even the fried fish tasted good. Healthy eating as locals would consider it with a decent obligatory greens of crunchy sambal kangkong from the seafood tze char stall. Washed down with none other than teh tarik.

Mr Teh Tarik, teh tarik

No comments: