Friday, September 12, 2014

Big prawn noodles from Albert Street Prawn Noodles


In my limited experience, big prawn noodles seldom live up to their names. They seldom, if ever even qualify in what I feel are big prawns for one. But then, I'm always thinking along the lines of those river prawns from Thailand. As my memory serves, Wah Kee and Island Cafe are probably those that live up to the description. The latter is not even called big prawn noodles and is a different class of ball game altogether.

So this is the one from Albert Street Prawn Noodles (#01-10, Old Airport Road Food Centre, 51 Old Airport Road) and I decided to pick the costliest option just to see what theirs is like. The stall it seems started off back in 1963, but was manned by a relatively young chap. He didn't look like he would be around 51 years ago, much less selling prawn noodles then.

Their prawns aren't so large after all. At that size and sliced into halves, one could not even consider them meaty. Some of happened not to be cleanly de-veined. Gross. Broth was nicely flavoured, but sweet; a rather noticeable contrast to the savoury one from the Whitley Road Big Prawn Noodle stall nearby. I quite liked those firm yellow noodles that were paired with some crunch from the blanched sprouts and strongly scented with fried shallots and their spicy pungent sauce.

All in all a pretty decent bowl, but for $12, I expected more. I guess I won't be in any hurry to come back especially when there's so many other options for food at Old Airport Road.

No comments: