Sunday, September 14, 2014

Breakfast at Kampong Corner

Kampong Corner, lontong

Today's serving of lontong (which I've mentioned previously) literally had our lungs flooded with the gravy. Well, not my own lungs obviously, but that from the additional top up of the paru goreng which soaked up the gravy in their tiny lung cavities. It's become a little bit like a beefy chewy tau pok if you would. 

There's also that soft roti jala which was accompanied by a bowl of nutty rich chicken curry on the side. This was so much better than I had in mind. And definitely one of the better breakfasts I've had in a while. If you're not doing your heart any favours, be sure to not do them for the right reasons.

Kampong Corner, roti jala

I hope these pictures do justice as a tribute to our local "artisanal" dishes. Each individual component was an effort. I don't know how to cook them, but I do know that the sambal takes a lot of ingredients to simmer over hours. Ditto for the rempah for the gravy which eventually also serves as the cooking gravy for the long simmers that soften the vegetables. Those beef lungs need laborious effort cleaning and deep frying as well. Roti jala is something that many don't make in house anymore and you'll find that most of them aren't tender because they're probably mass produced stuff that's chewy. These local eats need some recognition.

No comments: