Saturday, April 09, 2016

Bakmie and sio may from JTown Cafe

JTown Cafe, bakmie

We finally got back to try the bakmie from JTown. This was their bakmie ayam cabe ijo - the one with a green chilli stew and bits of chicken. I liked the green chilli stew. There was sufficient flavour going on to be likeable and heat to keep the flavours interesting. The noodles were okay. Would have like them more springy but they were okay. Wouldn't be in a hurry to come back but I wouldn't mind eating them again if I'm in the vicinity.

The sio may on the other hand I didn't take to. The staff paraphrasing my order had called it siew mai which I guess is what sio may was. It wasn't exactly siew mai as most people here would know of it. It was a sort of fish cake and it wasn't even fish cake that most of us were familiar with. These were basically chewy pieces of flour flavoured with some fish. It was as far removed from what is commonly regarded as fish cake as those mutants from The Hills Have Eyes are from humanity.

No comments: