Tuesday, July 19, 2016

The recent tragedy at the Golden Arches


So here's a look at the recent what seems to me to be a disaster from McD. Their salted egg yolk burger. This item has been plagued by not so positive feedback about the quality and the quantity of the said sauce and I'm hearing that they're using the powdered variety from a known distributor which uses chicken egg - not duck eggs as salted eggs are usually made from.

Salted egg yolk sauce has been around in some form or another for a while. I gather that quite a lot of people here like it and have their opinion of it. And one doesn't expect to fly by without some form of criticism if it's not done at least decently. I expected that the local McD should be well aware of that. I have no idea if the guy in charge of this was incompetent or simply couldn't care less - but take my word for it, this is nothing like the real deal. For what they charged, I expected something that tasted like the real deal even if it wasn't the real deal.


I requested for more of that salted egg yolk sauce. This stuff is actually more like a paste. And possibly because of the initial backlash feedback, they probably have already started increasing the quantity of the sauce in the regular distribution. So that kinda compounded to the point where the entire chicken was buried in that pasty stuff.

Which would not have been so much of a problem had it tasted good like how salted yolk sauces should. This actually tasted pretty milky and a little sweet. The salted element of the salted egg yolk sauce was virtually non existent and it along the way, wiped out any that might have existed in the fried chicken with its flavour. Imagine a poorly done liu sha bao. This is one step below. 

So while it was too measly, people made noise. Now that they've upped the amount, I'm making noise. So it is damned if they do and damned if they don't. Capitalism doesn't hand out awards for trying.


I was kinda hoping that their grilled chicken salad would save them and wipe the taste off the burger. For grilled chicken, it was a little sad. The skin wasn't particularly crisp like grilled chicken should be. In fact, it was soggy. The marinate was sweet and I didn't like it. Here's a first and a last time. 


The current burger gimmick comes with the option to get twister fries with what they called a salt and pepper crab mix. A shaker twister fries item. I get the salt and the pepper, but none of that crab. I didn't expect any crab in the first place so I guess I wasn't surprised. I recommend that one eats this sans that powder. It tasted like a MSG bomb.


Yeah, they are having some spicy nuggets to go with the current setup as well. It was indeed a little spicy but I didn't quite enjoy that additional flavour that came with the spiciness. I couldn't make out what it was and the skin of the nugget was thicker than usual. I wouldn't recommend it.

No comments: