Sunday, December 11, 2016

Capitol Bak Chor Mee, Food Republic @ Capitol Piazza


We noticed the ba chor mee stall (B1-20/27 Capitol Piazza, 13 Stamford Road) the last time we were here and thought it looked good enough that we came back to try it.

I'm inclined to believe that their bowl is setup to be similar with the ones from Hill Street Tai Hwa Pork Noodle. Yes, that Michelin starred one. And possibly also to Tai Wah Pork Noodle at Hong Lim. The wonton, the piece of ti poh, sliced pork with minced pork and meatballs, no stewed mushrooms and that cloudy bowl of broth on the side. This was what it reminded me of and the similarities end there.

My appraisal would be that this was a pretty decent bowl that I wouldn't say no to. Price aside, it beats the hell out of the majority of the generic stalls; but it is not Tai Hwa as much as it looks like theirs. For a start, my piece of dried sole wasn't fragrant and was inedibly chewy, the wonton skins are a little too thick and the zing from vinegar just didn't come through. And this was supposed to be the larger bowl going for $6. I could eat two of these in a seating if I was starving so yeah, decent but a little expensive.  

No comments: