Saturday, April 15, 2017

Hajjah Mona Nasi Padang, Geylang Serai Market

Hajjah Mona Nasi Padang, Geylang Serai Market

Believe it or not, this was our first time at the current Geylang Serai Market. My last memory of the market was the old single storied place by the road - which if I remember correctly was at a different site? Anyway, since it was a first time, we were a little overwhelmed by the options. As chaos theory fate would have it, we ended up at Hajjah Mona (#02-166, Geylang Serai Market and Food Centre, 1 Geylang Serai).

Hajjah Mona Nasi Padang, urap

Which also lead to my first urap. Aside from my first urap that is. This salad was more raw and herbal. There were bean sprouts, wing beans, something that looked like sweet potato leaves and some herbs which I couldn't recognize. I don't think all that rawness worked for me and it was precisely because there was some cooking of the vegetables that enjoyed it previously. But we managed to finish up the whole plate with help of the nutty sweet and spicy gravy from the quail eggs.

Hajjah Mona Nasi Padang, babat gulai

We had curried tripe - a curry that was rich and flavourful with coconut. That gravy was awesome with rice.

Hajjah Mona Nasi Padang, paru goreng

There was paru goreng too. In case anyone didn't remember, these are fried cow lungs. They aren't horrifying in flavour or texture and are more delicious than the looks suggest.

Hajjah Mona Nasi Padang, quail eggs sambal

These were the quail eggs I mentioned earlier. Just quail eggs in a nutty/sweet/spicy chilli sauce.

No comments: