Friday, April 28, 2017

Quan Xiang Mushroom Minced Meat Noodle, Redhill Food Centre

Quan Xiang Mushroom Minced Meat Noodle, Redhill Food Centre

I normally avoid queues. Mostly. Say 95% of the time. For some reasons, I was drawn to this particular ba chor mee stall (#01-80 Redhill Food Centre, 85 Redhill Lane) which had a queue.

Deciding to join that queue turned out to be a good move. A $3 bowl came laden with much more porky goodness than I had been expecting. Minced pork, sliced pork, pork balls, sliced pig liver, fish cake, mushrooms and lard. Those livers were also expertly cooked that it was tender and none too liver-y. If I had to criticize, the weakest link for the bowl was their noodles. There was that bit of alkali flavour and possibly because of the quality of the noodles, didn't hold up their texture as well as I would have liked from the cooking. That being said, I'm not adversed against eating here again if I'm in the vicinity.

This by the way was what I call a clean bowl. No chilli or vinegar. An option that is also commonly indicated as 白的. It's a good litmus for the quality of a bowl of bak chor mee.

Addenum 27/8/2018
Quan Xiang Mushroom Minced Meat Noodle, Redhill Food Centre



We came back for another bowl. It was noticeably below the standards of the previous visit. The mee pok was a little soggy and the kee flavour seemed much more apparent. I don't know why but this round was disappointing. I couldn't even finish it. Don't think I will be back.