Wednesday, February 05, 2020

Borscht and more other stuff from Tsui Wah

Tsui Wah, borscht

That's the borscht. The one that I reminded myself to stick to previously because it was much better than their cream soup of the day option. Came with the western food option with a slice of buttered thick toast. Tsui Wah's rendition of the borscht is of course nothing like the Ukrainian/Eastern European renditions. This was the...hmmmm - the Hainanese variety I think; of a tomato cabbage soup with beef. The beef added depth. Would have been great if they had sour cream.

Tsui Wah, lamb chops

Got their lamb chops. Not bad. Better than any of our local western food lamb chops which tend to be overcooked and overly thin. I would know. There was a nice strip of fat along the edges that together with the caramelization on the surface of those chops, brought flavour. But alas, it was still too little meat to be filling. The red wine sauce on the sauce wasn't too shabby but that unfortunately detracted from the flavour of the meat. 

Tsui Wah, fried rice pork chop

I wanted to try their fried rice with pork chop because I enjoyed it from the last time and was also wondering how this stacked up versus the the one from DTF. I suppose DTF had a more tender pork chop while this one had a firmer bite. Not saying which one is better here but portions here were sure small compared to Hong Kong. 

Tsui Wah, soy sauce chicken wings

Also tried their soy sauce chicken wings which is commonly referred to as Swiss wings in Hong Kong. The dark soy sauce was dense with flavour, sweet and had what I thought was the lightest hint of ginger. I was hoping that the meat would be slurp off the bone tender but it wasn't quite there.

No comments: