Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Yuan Cheng Wai (源成威), Boon Tiong Road

Yuan Cheng Wai - soya sauce chicken rice

Came across this stall at the Food Paradise coffeeshop at Tiong Bahru (11A Boon Tiong Road) by happenstance. Chance paved my way to them over the other roasted meat stall because the other one had a queue and this one didn't and also didn't look too bad.

I didn't dislike it. There was relatively tender soya sauce chicken. Decent stuff though I don't think they're in the same leagues as the ones I've had in Chinatown market food centre (, , ). One of my yardsticks is "slurp off the bone" tenderness which the chook didn't quite meet. Liked that their gravy wasn't starchy though. Char siew was edible and unmemorable. What impressed me were both the red chilli sauce and sambal. The former had a bit of heat and a nice hit of lime like chicken rice chilli while the latter was robustly flavoured with ikan bilis. Delicious chillis.

No comments: