Thursday, July 18, 2013

Bar-Roque Grill, Amara Hotel

Bar-Roque Grill, Amara Hotel

A confluence of rustic themed modern rotisserie and bar that features a Stéphane Istel - chef, owner and previously from the Daniel Boulud group. Said chef hails from Alsace, a picturesque region of France along the borders of Germany and Switzerland. It would seem that, that heritage is what Bar-Roque (165 Tanjong Pagar #01-00, tel : +65 6444 9672) is here to offer.

Bar-Roque Grill, tarte flambee

They have tarte flambée. It was ok I guess. Pretty much what one can expect of cream cheese, onions and bacon on flatbread.

Bar-Roque Grill, beef carpaccio

Their beef carpaccio was excellent. Flavourful thinly sliced beef that wasn't shy with the salt and nicely flavoured with toasted pine nuts and shaven truffle. It was also however very tiny in portions and for $25. I could have rolled up all that beef into one mouthful.

Bar-Roque Grill, meat

We decided to take on their sample meat platter for a taste of what Bar-Roque had to offer. From what they had done up, the Australian wagyu and lamb shoulders were excellent. Their pork with inadequately crispy skin fell flat on flavour, was sinewy and had to be rescued by the mustard. Challans ducks had lost everything French about them with a very Asian sauce slathered over. These aren't even close to the best ducks I've had. They did however, do a pretty decent roasted chicken.

Bar-Roque Grill, ravioli

And then, tiny mushroom raviolis which went through some confusion. We had ordered a main sized portion which the server had confirmed upon arrival. It was delicious from the cream sauce backed with fried shallots, but the portions were puny. A three year old would have had no problems finishing them. I mean, come on, those raviolis were barely larger than my thumbnails. Later, a second wait staff informed us it might have been a portion for sides. No one seemed to be sure. 

Bar-Roque Grill, apple pie

Apple pie was really good. I mean, exceptionally good. But at $66 for a whole pie, I don't think I'll buy from them. In fact, I don't think I'll be coming back.

Bar-Roque Grill, Amara Hotel

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hm, no write up? Is it bad?

LiquidShaDow said...

There were the goods, and there were the mediocre. But I don't think it's worth my money spent and I'm certainly not incentivised to return.