Monday, July 30, 2018

Of chickens and eggs at Maxwell Food Centre

Tian Tian Chicken Rice, Maxwell Food Centre

The first and also last time I've had Tian Tian's chicken rice was a decade ago. There are still as many tourists these days. Prices have gone up. There're two separate queues processing orders for the stall now. One to for order and the other for collection like how it was done at the old Mei Ling location of Sin Kee. They got my order wrong today but I didn't feel like arguing the difference. That was almost 10 bucks worth if anyone's wondering.

Chicken was slurp off the bone tender and their lime spiked chilli still kicks ass. But I can definitively settle with the knowledge that they don't do very good rice. But all these tourists probably will never know.

Zhen Zhen Porridge, Maxwell Food Centre
Zhen Zhen Porridge, Maxwell Food Centre

I do not recall ever having had Zhen Zhen Porridge (#01-54) before. The queue was never "encouraging" and I still am generally not big on porridges. I tried a chicken and century egg bowl today and I liked it. There was definitely an appeal to the gut sticking gruel-ly consistency with the raw egg stirred in and I enjoyed how it tasted with the generosity of the ingredients. I'll be back.

Lad & Dad, bacon chip butty

So I finally got to try something at Lad & Dad (#01-79) as well. The greasy and salty bacon and chip butty that's been bolstered with a fried egg and melted mozzarella cheese. Nothing like a conventional English chip butty but I could appreciate how it would be less of a mess with hash browns rather than actual chips. I felt my artery clog a little but it sure was good.

Lad & Dad

No comments: