Monday, July 12, 2010

Anjappar Authentic Chenttinaad Restaurant, Syed Alwi Road


I've on numerous occasions passed by the outlet of this franchised restaurant from Chennai (102, Syed Alwi Road, tel : +65 6392 5545) down by Race Course Road numerous times and have been wanting to check them out. Today, I ended up eating at this particular outlet instead because I happened to be in the vicinity of this part of Little India.

Not knowing really what to expect, we opted for what looked like might be interesting from the menu and landed up with some really spicy and peppery mutton sukka varuval which tasted very similarly to the coconut mutton fry which we've had from Spice Junction and a kaadai briyani (quail). In the case of the latter, we got a bird that seemed to be overly cooked, resulting in meat that was a little tough. I'm probably not going to try these again since it was really a bit of trouble having to get the meat out of the bones of such a small bird and there wasn't really anything to it that I could put finger to, justifying the effort. What I didn't like too, were the chopped bits of coriander that marred for me, a pretty decent paneer kuruma.

Still, I thought that the food here was pretty decent on the whole and I don't think I would mind eating here again if the option ever presented itself.

mutton sukka varuval

cheese naan

paneer kuruma

kaadai briyani