Saturday, July 03, 2010

Sawagani from Tampopo


Tampopo often has affordable seasonal items on their menu and so far, they've been doing a pretty good job of getting me to come back again and again. Lately, it seems that they have brought in some sawagani and so there I was again!


These little river crabs here tasted a little bit more greasy than the ones I remember having at Chikuwa Tei and apart from that, were also handled with a little less finesse from a broken claw and some legs. Otherwise, these lightly salted deep fried river crabs tastes pretty much the same everywhere. The squeeze of lemon was a good idea even though the juice pretty much flowed off the crabs.


Seeing numerous orders of their tonkatsu ramen from various neighbouring tables, we decided to give it a go. The tonkotsu soup base was pretty much masked by the chilli oils and I did think it wasn't too bad at all if rather non indicative of tonkotsu broths. The fried tonkatsu however, was a little disappointing with the battered surface quite laden with oil. It was a greasy fried piece of pork, but not in a way that I would have liked. I guess this is one out from the list of choices I have here.


And for dessert, their green tea chiffon cake wasn't too bad too. I guess the appeal for me went mostly to the light milky cream that they use which is pretty much what makes me want to order their scoop cake everytime.

1 comment:

ice said...

LOL. I like the little crabby on your negitoro don!

Check out the new hamburg place Ichiban, beside Ichibantei downstairs. It's under the same Ichibantei group.