Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Japanese Restaurant Suju, Mandarin Gallery

Japanese Restaurant Suju, Mandarin Gallery

I've been wanting to try Suju (#04-05 Mandarin Gallery, 333A Orchard Road, tel : +65 6737 7764) since I discovered them a few years back, but I haven't had the chance until very recently. Their food is not exotic by most stretches of imagination. They do not serve unusual frutti di mare or bugs. But they do deliver a solid teishoku experience.

tamago yaki

Japanese Restaurant Suju, tamago yaki


premium tempura course


Japanese Restaurant Suju, sashimi

Japanese Restaurant Suju, tempura

Japanese Restaurant Suju, tempura


australian wagyu sirloin steak teishoku

Japanese Restaurant Suju, wagyu sirloin steak teishoku

Japanese Restaurant Suju, wagyu sirloin steak

The quality of the food spoke for itself. Which was good. And so was that spoken for by the crowd during the weekend lunch and a tell tale sign of a rather large percentage of Japanese clientele. Their tamago yaki was bouncily delicious, piping hot with a sweet and savoury taste. Steak was competent and tasty while the sashimi from the tempura course was pretty good quality. Hell, even the tomato from the 6 appetizer tray was sweet. Loved the miso topped nasu too.  I think you get the idea.

But as much as I thought that their quality commensurated the prices they charged, the food can cost quite a bit. But hey, it's not like I'm not willing to drop a little more dole for good food. The only gripe I had was the pickles that came with the rice. I had expected radish but this place serves cabbage - spiked with ginger.

I wished we had started coming earlier though. 

Japanese Restaurant Suju, Mandarin Gallery

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

coincidentally, I was there recently too!