Saturday, July 01, 2017

Lunching at La Strada

La Strada, Shaw Centre

We've only had lunch at La Strada once and that was a long time ago when the restaurant was a very different place from what it is today. Things are more casual, prices easier on the wallet and the outfit more rustic these days.

La Strada, cotechino

That's pork sausage and braised lentils. The sausages were tender, filled with bits of gelatinous stuff that probably collagenous and was pretty porky. Porky in a good way of course if one should be inclined towards salty porcine flavours.

La Strada, tuscan chickpea kale soup

We had some Tuscan styled chickpea and kale soup. Vegetables in a lightweight chicken broth flavoured with some cheese. This was quite good.

La Strada, braised lamb shank artichoke

Braised lamb shank with artichokes. I couldn't decide if the broth was tangy or just meaty. The meat from the shanks were fork tender and had soft gelatinous bits. A dish that's hearty in every sense of the word but there was something missing that I couldn't quite put my finger too. So while I enjoyed it, I don't think I would order it again.

La Strada, sea bream

Their sea bream fillet was generously portioned and much more delicious than I had imagined. The firm and tender fish simply sat well in the tangy broth with peppers, tomatoes, olives and capers which reminded me of ratatouille. With those ingredients, the entire flavour profile of the dish was just so appetizing.

La Strada, melons

Dessert options at lunch included melons. These were sweet and fragrant. We expected no less from La Strada even for something as simple as sliced fruit.

La Strada, limoncello tiramisu

Or their Limoncello tiramisu which was also much better than I had imagined from the description on the menu. The aroma from the liqueur was present but not overwhelmingly so. Those bits of passionfruit broke the monotony of the mascarpone with chocolate shavings. I think I might just eat this again the next time I come back.  

La Strada, coffee

No comments: