Saturday, February 21, 2009

Crystal's mee shay


Wow, this mee shay was really not bad and dare I say, authentic since it was made by someone who learnt how to do it back at home where it was done as many people would eat them minus the fanciful dressing and localised adaptation. Hey Crystal, this is yours and thanks for the really nice lunch. Certainly as well, this is the first Burmese entry I've ever done and will probably be an opening for more to come in the future once I figure out where to land myself more of their food locally.

Back to the mee shay, it wasn't too complicated to make them as well. Essentially, it's a kuey teow salad with stuff like pickled vegetables, chilli black bean paste, raw bean sprouts, spicy fermented tofu (excellent surprise), vinegar with bits of raw garlic and some starch, all hand mixed. How could I have forgotten to mention cubes of braised pork belly. There was actually some coriander garnishes which I passed of course. The result was a strong flavored and appetizing comfort dish which landed myself 3 servings. Oh man, the z monster afterwards....


And then, there was some pork rib and coriander soup with garlic. I'm glad that the coriander was just crushed stems which didn't introduce an overwhelming taste of that vile plant. I guess the mildness of that flavor actually gave a depth to the soup that I never expected that I would enjoy.



Thanks again Crystal, for a wonderful lunch, masala chai, frozen watermelons and cigars. Will be looking forward to the next lunch.

No comments: