Thursday, May 25, 2017

Hong Seng Curry Rice (鴻森咖喱飯), Redhill Food Centre

Hong Seng Curry Rice (鴻森咖喱飯), Redhill Food Centre

Man, this sure was a satisfying plate. While I enjoy Hainanese styled curry rice, I wouldn't say that I'm a big fan of the most of them because I'm generally not a starchy sauce person. A number of these stalls have starchy looking curry/gravy concoctions.

What worked for me here was the absence of those gloopiness. This plate of curry rice from Hong Seng (#01-74 Redhill Food Centre, 85 Redhill Lane) featured tender stewed chap chye (braised cabbage), savoury chai poh (preserved radish) omelette, strips of meaty braised pork belly and salty (enjoyably so if I might add) minced pork balls. All heaped over rice that's drenched in their mildly spicy curry and braising sauce from the meats. Comfort food as local as it gets.

No comments: