Sunday, June 23, 2019

Maria's Corner, Tanglin Halt

Maria's Corner, nasi lemak

Venerable looking unassuming stall (Guan Kim Coffeeshop, 47 Tanglin Halt Road) that piqued my interest enough to get me down for breakfast.

Got a plate of nasi lemak. With fried fish, fried egg, bergedil, some paru and abit of serunding beside their sambal. First the rice - soft, moist with a discernible coconut base, salted sufficiently and unexpectedly the aroma of lemongrass. I usually find lemongrass a disruptive flavour in non sour food but this was harmonious. Sambal was moderately spicy and sweet. That sweetness wasn't annoying though.

That presented to me a first world problem. Each mouthful of rice was a decision between sambal, sambal and serunding, serunding or just rice.

I liked the paru. Don't know how it was prepared but it didn't have jerky like texture that many paru goreng does. These were tender, chewy and beefy chunks of lungs enveloped in spices. Fish was okay, bergedil was ok. It's the nasi lemak as a whole that'll be getting me to come back.

Maria's Corner, Tanglin Halt

No comments: