Thursday, August 17, 2017

Five Ten, South Bridge Road


I read that this place (237 South Bridge Road, tel : +65 6924 7352) was supposed to be serving Taiwanese inspired food. While it is apparent that quite a lot of us locals visit Taiwan (I'm one of the oddballs here who has never been there) and many of which mention about how good the food is over there; we don't exactly have so much in the way of Taiwanese eateries here. I suppose Taiwanese inspired would do then.


We had sautéed chicken hearts. Tender yet chewy, these little morsels were pretty good in that sweet soy glaze. Ordered this sans the fried ginger shreds which wouldn't have agreed with me. I wouldn't have agreed with them neither.


There was poached red snapper in a dashi broth. The fish was delicious and I liked the clean flavours of the broth with fried garlic bits.


Their grilled squids were passable. They needed more char. Tasted like they had the same glaze as those chicken hearts. While I supposed that each restaurant has their way, I thought they could take a page out of Gerry's Grill with the grilling. 


That's sirloin steak, seared to a medium doneness served with fried garlic bits and picked cabbage. Very edible.


For some reasons, their tripe was served on skewers. These were the only things on skewers. But they were good. Tender, nicely flavoured with that soy based braising. These tasted like they hit the grill for a little bit after they were braised. I could be wrong. Thought this was pretty good.


Rice was free of charge. I give brownie points for this.


And there's Asahi Kuronama on tap.

No comments: