Thursday, November 01, 2018

Revisiting Tong Kee Chicken Rice (東記雞飯)

Tong Kee Chicken Rice (東記雞飯), chicken rice

I've been meaning to come back to Tong Kee (#01-25 Tanglin Halt Food Centre, 3A Commonwealth Drive) for quite some time to re-acquaint myself with their chicken rice which I remember enjoying. It's also a chance to better catalogue what specifically I liked about them. Never made it for reasons until recently.

Tong Kee Chicken Rice (東記雞飯), chicken

I've previously mentioned that Tong Kee only does roasted/fried chicken. There's no white chicken to be had. We got ourselves a half chook. These guys have been making this one specific style of chicken for a long time so one can reasonably expect that they're pretty competent at what they do. Rice was good enough to eat on its own.

Tong Kee Chicken Rice (東記雞飯), brown sauce

I had also previously mentioned their brown sauce. I used to get them with their hard boiled eggs but they were out of eggs already today. The owner then added that they still had the brown sauce if I wanted them. Couldn't say no. This sauce is a unique characteristic of this chicken rice stall. Do not judge it until you have tried them. The sweet caramelized flavours are much better tasting than appearances suggest

Tong Kee Chicken Rice (東記雞飯), chilli

Tong Kee's chilli packs a bit of heat and also some zest from lime. Good stuff. 

Tong Kee Chicken Rice (東記雞飯), Tanglin Halt Food Centre

No comments: