Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Xing Wang Hong Kong Cafe, Anchorpoint


I'm generally not big on Hong Kong Cafes because of the type of food they serve, the lack of effort in the preparation of the simpler dishes and the fact that there is a whole lot of them around making them feel like clones of each other. I've eaten in them a couple of times and haven't really thought much of the food. Most of them cannot even do a decent luncheon meat and egg noodle which is usually a signature item of such cafes. This place (370 Alexandra Road, #01-07/08 Anchorpoint, tel: 6474 4498) came under the recommendation of a friend who mentioned a good French toast. Needless to say, I was initially rather skeptical about French toasts in such places, but it turned out to be a good call after all.

The french toast arrived with a generous amount of honey drizzled over and what made me think better of it was the fact that this was actually coated with a visible layer of egg. It definitely tasted eggy and request for extra butter and honey was met with a rather generous response. The staff was also polite to the point that I almost felt that it was a strange thing. I'm picking up good vibes here and I'm encouraged to re-visit.

One of the pleasant surprises here was also the pork rib bee hoon which was again, much better than what I thought I could be getting. I'm not sure if the ribs are of the canned variety, but it was soft and slid off the bone with ease. Not to mention that the bee hoon was actually pretty fragrant and moist.

2 comments:

ice said...

You should try the peanut butter thick toast here. It's nicer than the french toast. :)

MamaBoK said...

I've tried the toast before.. ! but very, very gelak..!! can't eat more than a few bites.. :)