Wednesday, June 04, 2008

The Vines Seafood & Steak Restaurant, Novena


I should have trusted my instincts and avoided this place entirely (275 Thomson Road, #01-07 Novena Ville, tel: 6255 2838). Why did I even rebel against intuition especially after hearing from others that this wasn't worth the time?


To be fair, the oysters from the oyster kilpatrick tasted pretty fresh fresh. That was pretty much all that was worth mentioning of the shellfish that was drenched in some cream that tasted like mayo and had a puny portion of some floss which I presume was to be passed off as bacon. There wasn't any real bacon at all. The mixed grill was also regrettable with a miserably thin slice of beef. Definitely not medium rare for that one. There was a piece of dry and overcooked salmon and an over-fried prawn. The portions weren't generous by any measure and I think I've had better for less at a coffeeshop western food down at Hougang. Their lobster was just pathetic. Overcooked and tiny, it had about enough mushy meat to fit a prawn. Looking at how slip shod the food was done, I imagine that this kitchen has no pride.

The service at the restaurant was very polite and prompt but it's not going to make me come back again. Ever.

No comments: