Saturday, June 28, 2014

Soi 19 (十九街) Thai Wanton Mee, Ang Mo Kio Ave 5

Soi 19 Thai Wanton Mee, Ang Mo Kio

I had read about this place (Blk 151, Ang Mo Kio Ave 5) from Makansutra recently and ended up heading down for two consecutive days of their wanton mee. I guess I must like them. In my visits to Thailand, I've never had wanton noodles. Ever. So I've certainly no basis for comparison to determine whether these actually taste like Thai wanton mee or not. 

One of the things I liked about them was the texture of the egg noodles which alone, in my opinion, puts the stall ahead of many if not most wanton noodles in this entire country. There was a certain flavour to their seasoning which I couldn't quite put a finger to. But then again in the second visit, I had forgone those flavours with the dried chilli flakes, fish sauce and sugar. The carrot for ordering the large bowl of noodles from the stall are slices of sweet fat laden sausages which are really good by the way. There are two types of wanton from the stall. Deep fried ones that contain onions, served with the noodles and peppery ones which come with the soup. The latter is good.

Without condiments, this tasted quite local and even looked that way.

No comments: