Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Boon Tong Kee Little Gourmet, River Valley Road

what's "ong kee little goup"?

Interesting name for a store that's famed for it's chicken rice. I happened on this place (with some friends) while searching for some past midnight grub. This place doesn't exactly sell cheap chicken rice however the quality I had thought, ought to be quite good based on reputation. Having eaten only at Boon Tong Kee at Bt Timah before so I wasn't sure of how this place would work out. The previous experiences were quite good, so I had little reason to expect otherwise. In retrospect, I guess even franchised name outlets must possess a certain level of quality to thrive.



If I had to so some comparison, I thought it was a tough fight between My Rice and BTK. I personally felt that both stores were quite on par in terms of quality. While neither matches Ming Kee in terms of price, the former two establishments accounts for their worth with more tender chicken meat and what I felt to be a zestier chilli sauce. The poached vegetables in oyster sauce here had fresh crunchy texture and was topped with fried shallots and some meat floss.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey! i was looking out for this BTKchicken rice.. May i know how much is a 2person serving? cos I know Wee nam kee at novena charges $6..

Really hope to try this stall!

Looking forward to ur reply!

Thanks a million (^_^)

-Elaine

LiquidShaDow said...

Hi Elaine,

I'm sorry I can't help you with that. This entry was for a dinner for 3 with extra potions of rice and it was a treat from a friend, so I have no idea how much it cost.