Sunday, January 28, 2007

Queen's Tandoor, Robertson Quay

I'm not sure if I got the name of the place right. This was apparently a new Indian restaurant down in the courtyard of Robertson Walk. The menu separates between Indian and Fusion; the latter comprises of food that are described to be Chinese, Indonesian and Japanese. I didn't notice anything particularly Japanese about the menu and the rest of the fusion portion looked pretty much like Peranakan food. Opting for the Indian items was a no brainer and despite it looking quite run of the mill, it turned out pretty good. The first thing I didn't like though was that the papadums were soft. They've been hanging around for pretty long. Their mint yoghurt dip also had way much to much of coriander and you probably know already what I think about them.

What they had were very nice fish and lamb (in flavourful creamy curry sauces that rings cholesterol bells). There was also an exceptional palek paneer which was lighter than usual and was more buttery. The cheese naan were also delicious and were freshly made.

fish makhanwala

Mutton handi (claypot masala mutton)

palek paneer
cheese naan

I had my suspicions about the mutton handi being cooked in clay pots as opposed to being just served in a clay pot. It was still on the whole, enjoyable. The fish makhanwala were chunks of firm white fish (I don't know what kind) in a creamy and spicy sauce. Very satisfying. Dinner for two was a little below $60, which I think was a little pricey.

No comments: