Thursday, November 28, 2019

Revisiting Matsuo Sushi


Wow, it's been 11 years since we were last at Matsuo Sushi. Matsuo-san has been quietly operating his little sushi shop almost under the radar for a long time. For some reasons, I thought of them that thought was what prompted this return.


I did a little Googling and came across their nigiri matsu online. Thought it looked good and they had a set for that at dinner. The set which included just a miso soup.

But it looked nothing like the picture I saw online. There were no scallops and the umaki was served separately. I had almost mistaken that for otoshi. The maki that came with the sushi was cucumber and not kanpyo. Both the uni and ikura weren't on a gunkan, just piled on top of a little dish of rice. Speaking of rice, the shari seemed very lacking in vinegar. What's happening?


Miso soup was a bore as well. I had difficulty identifying it as miso especially with the flavour from the salmon muddling it.

No comments: