Sunday, September 24, 2023

Revisiting Lao Huo Tang (老火汤)

Lao Huo Tang (老火汤), red date longan

Back at Lao Huo Tang trying more of their soups and dishes.

Lao Huo Tang (老火汤), pork tripe ginko nut soup 养生腐竹猪肚汤

Pork tripe and ginko nut soup (养生腐竹猪肚汤) - for some reasons I had been expecting this to be very peppery until I re-read the menu. They did not mention pepper. Must have been because of the tripe which I normally associate with being cooked in a peppery broth or I've been thinking of the one at 藝 yì by Jereme Leung. No pepper for this one. Tripe was tender and chewy. Not a bad soup. 

Lao Huo Tang (老火汤), lotus root soup 养颜莲藕花生排骨汤

What I did not anticipate and was pleasantly surprised by from the their lotus root soup with pork ribs and peanut (养颜莲藕花生排骨汤) were the dried cuttlefish that was used. This added plentiful umami. Tasted a lot better than I had imagined of what I thought would be a boring lotus root soup.

Lao Huo Tang (老火汤), stir fried bitter gourd egg 苦瓜炒蛋

Decent fried egg with sliced bitter gourd there.

Lao Huo Tang (老火汤), steamed chicken mushroom lup cheong

This was steamed chicken with mushrooms and lup cheong. I was thinking of this rendition when I ordered it. Not exactly in the same leagues but I don't mind eating this again. The main ingredients along with the goji berries and light soy sauce coalesced together nicely through the steaming.

No comments: