Monday, January 29, 2007

Chin Chin Eating House, 19 Purvis Street


Located close to the Beach Road end of Purvis Street (across the road from Yet Con), this old styled coffee shop does Hainanese cuisine as well as chicken rice (both roasted chicken and steamed variety). I'm not sure if they're known for their chicken rice here or not since there is a bunch of stores selling them at around the area and in the next lane at Liang Seah Street. This area between Bugis and Beach Road seems to be a little hub of chicken rice stalls. Competition it seems, is about and Chin Chin looks to be doing better than a next door, also purported Hainanese coffeshop that too sells chicken rice.

We landed ourselves a serving of chicken rice for two along with stir fried sliced fish in black bean sauce and Hainanese pork chop. Does anyone know what makes Hainanese pork chop distinctively Hainanese?

sliced fish in black bean sauce

Hainanese pork chop

I guess the chicken rice here was pretty regular. It doesn't quite shine in any aspect. The rice wasn't fluffy and too felt a little dry. I wouldn't call it bad, just unremarkable. Still it seemed to be the popular choice. The sliced fish in black bean sauce disappointed with the sauce. There wasn't enough of the black bean flavour around, however the portions of the fish for a small size serving were generous and tasted fairly fresh.

The pork chops here shone noticeably in comparison with the other dishes. These fried pieces of pork were not overly thinly in sliced. Well, maybe it's not as good as freshly made ones, but it's not much worse off either. The total cost of for the dinner plus two lime juices come to $22.

3 comments:

gavin said...

my man, when did you ever become a food critic..

D said...

A lot Hainanese in the colonial past worked as cooks for caucasians. As such, they were "trained" to create Western style dishes. The Hainanese pork chop is such a hybrid-fusion (if I dare so use the word "fusion" haha) that was created merely out of circumstance rather than choice (you can tell I'm not a fan of food touted as "fusion"). It exhibits the Western elements of a fried porkchop, a tomato-based sauce, chips/fries and mixed vegetables, although served in almost an Eastern stir-fry manner.

LiquidShaDow said...

@ D
Colbar would be a good example of their cuisine I believe. Fusion in food can be a dangerous thing.....lol, but I've had some which I enjoyed so I'm not adversed against them. :)

@ gavin
I guess I was in some ways a silent one. Now I have a media to put the thoughts into words. Are we acquainted btw?