Saturday, April 28, 2007

Marmalade Pantry, Palai Renaissance

Marmalade Pantry (Palai Renaissance, B1-08/11, Orchard Road) is a spiffy tai tai canteen that is secluded in the basement of a building laden with branded boutiques. I learnt of the ultimate beef burger and I came here just to try them. Well, I had soup too. And service here on Saturday is pretty bad and the entire place looks pretty understaffed with only half the seats filled


The parsnip sweep potato and butternut soup was a bad call on my part. I didn't really like it since I was really expecting the just a butternut soup. It tasted more like a carrot flavored dahl. It was what I thought to be totally boring except for the cheese filled loaf that's accompanied on the side.


I thought it might have been better without the mayo but I'm not complaining. It would definitely have scored more points with cheese, but again, I'm not complaining. This is a serious heavyweight beef burger with a firm and thick patty atop slices of gherkins that makes holding the burger together a tad slippery. Juice were dripping out of the patties as I ate, that was really quite impressive. The thick looking buns were also much softer than they looked and it was actually not bad. Though it's probably a bit pricey at $19.

No comments: