Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Ryoriya Sangokushi, Robertson Quay


This place (30 Robertson Quay, #01-03 Riverside View, tel: 6238 8962) which I've happened by from time to time, from what I've been told is suppose to be Taiwanese and Japanese. I'm not sure which is suppose to come first, but the restaurant serves bottled beer from both countries and the food was very much Chinese styled while a large number of the clientele is actually Japanese. I suppose that there is an element of Okinawan influence in the food here since the Okinawa Prefecture extends all the way to Taiwan and the food that hails from that region is very much similar to Chinese food.

The menu items at this place ranges from really affordable ($3 braised meat rice) to a brow raising pricey ($35 for fried oysters). I'm not sure I have the logic behind the prices figured out here. The food was pretty enjoyable to the point that I'm sure I'll be back again someday.

fried rice

deep fried pig liver with garlic

ruo cuo fan (braised spiced pork with rice)

guo tie (minced meat and chives dumpling)

One of the items which I got was the braised pork rice which I had a basis of comparison from the lu rou fan from both Peng Lai Ge and Lai Lai. Besides, I love that stuff. The one served here tasted much like the ones served in the former location, savory rather than slightly sweet. The portions were a little smaller than I had expected, but it was tasty and I could have easily downed two of them. There was a pretty good fried rice as well as deep fried pig liver which I've not had  prepared in such a manner before. The pot stickers or guo tie was quite decent, but I think I prefer the ones that are sold at the food centre down at People's Park which were meatier and has more flavourful fillings with crispier skins.

Being a Taiwanese place, I was hoping to see braised or fried pig intestines on the menu. Unfortunately, those weren't available. And I'll also stick to a proven Asahi compared to their Taiwan Beer the next time.

No comments: