Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Capricci, Tanjong Pagar


Relatively new restaurant that has moved into the place along Duxton where Oso used to be (27 Tanjong Pagar Road, tel : 6221 6761). The food was decent, with a savory starter of parmesan and wild mushroom souffle that stood out being both cheesy and comforting; and a ficattole which reminded me of deep fried dough fritters from Indian rojak stores. The latter would have gotten boring in a while, being a little heavy from the the grease, if not for the Parma ham that actually paired off pretty well with them.

Pasta was a little disappointing. What was meant by disappointing is that while it was really not terrible, it simply didn't hold enough of an appeal that I would look forward to coming back. The carbonara had a seafoody taste of clams and squids in the cream was a little interesting for a while. Gnocchi was just uninspiringly dull since one couldn't really taste the bits of chestnuts in them and the crushed pistachios are really doing nothing apart from providing texture to the dish since the flavors are a tad weak to content with a Gorgonzola based sauce which also didn't contain enough of the blue cheese to make me impressed in the first place. Maybe it could have been because of not having ordered their "signature" items. I definitely don't subscribe to depending on that.

"the bread wok"

soffiato di parmigiano in fonduta

ficattole with Parma ham

tagliatelle seafood carbonara

chestnut and potato gnocchi with gorgonzola sauce and crushed pistachio

5 comments:

ratatouille said...

thks for the review. how would you compare capricci and saraceno, in terms of food?

LiquidShaDow said...

Hey ratatouille,

I really can't do any apples to apples comparison here since I ordered quite different things, but based on first impressions, I didn't think very much of Capricci. Not enough to bother with desserts.

I've been to Saraceno twice (2nd time just for desserts) and on the overall, it was a little more costly, but fared higher on the satisfaction factor. Both on the service and food. Again, I have to say that these impressions are largely from what I ate there.

ratatouille said...

liquidshadow

thks for that. i understand it's difficult to make comparison just like that. but still it is a reliable encounter from you. Thks!

M. said...

IMHO, Capricci's food is really nothing. Common fare that is not worth returning. Saraceno - based on my one visit, has more character and worth exploring further.

LiquidShaDow said...

I'm not particularly inspired to go back again myself. As for Saraceno, I lean towards agreement.