Tuesday, June 06, 2017

Chen's Mapo Tofu, Downtown Gallery


The namesake Chen could probably be referring to Chen Kentaro (grandson), grandson of the founder of the Szechuan restaurant Shisen Hanten, Chen Kenmin (grandfather). In between the both of them is son to the latter and father to the the former - Chen Kenichi (father), formerly one of the Iron Chefs. Shisen Hanten by the way has an outlet on our shores which also happens to have gotten themselves two Michelin stars last year. Chen's Mapo Tofu (#02-29 Downtown Gallery, 6A Shenton Way, tel : +65 6221 3206) would be the casual outfit to that.


I've never had mapo tofu Szechuan styled so this would be a first for me. With little frame of reference, I can only describe it with what I perceive to be a moderate amount of heat and a fragrance from the chill oil/paste/Szechuan peppercorn. Something I simply associate with mala spices. It was a rather enjoyable bowl there. I'd skip their Szechuan popcorn chicken because KFC popcorn chicken and a bottle of La-Yu could actually be better. 

No comments: