Friday, August 30, 2024

Revisiting Wooloomooloo Steakhouse

Wooloomooloo Steakhouse, Swissotel The Stamford

Back at our favourite Australian themed Hong Kong steakhouse. If you've appreciated the veracity in the previous statement, you know it. 😏 Took a while for the fact sink in that it's been a dozen years since we first/last ate at Wooloomooloo? Time sure flew by stealthily. 😓

Wooloomooloo Steakhouse, onion focaccia

Focaccia looked the same as the last time. Just more onions. Great munching with butter.

Wooloomooloo Steakhouse, dirty martini blue cheese olive

Treated myself to a dirty martini with olives stuffed with blue cheese. Drink's a little salty from the brine and I was hoping for more blue cheese in those olives.

Wooloomooloo Steakhouse, jumbo prawn cocktail

We give thanks to the rabbit holes in YouTube for the subliminal spurring to order a jumbo shrimp/prawn cocktail. I do not even remember if I've ever had one of these.

For some reasons, I had expected jumbo shrimps/prawns to be......you know, jumbo. These were large but not enough for my imagination apparently. But they were nicely chilled and meaty with a light sweetness. What made me enjoy this was their cocktail sauce with avocado mousse and cream cheese. The latter two I guess aren't traditional to these but hell yeah they worked and we liked it.

Wooloomooloo Steakhouse, lobster bisque

Lobster bisque which didn't seem to be as great as I remembered it. Maybe the recipe changed or perhaps I remembered wrong, guess I'll never know.

Wooloomooloo Steakhouse, lobster bisque

Got a claw in this one.

Wooloomooloo Steakhouse, USDA Prime Cajun Spiced Rib Eye 300-day grain fed I 48 hours marination I 4 weeks wet aged I illinois
300-day grain fed I 48 hours marination I 4 weeks wet aged I illinois
I've always been curious about the cajun ribeye in steakhouses so today was the day the cat died. Not a bad experience with that little bit of heat from what I feel tasted like barbeque dry rub. Much prefer the steak without it. Didn't regret ordering this though because now we know. It's tender from the wet aging and very moist unlike dry aged ones which tends to be not juicy. Where wet aging pales in comparison is flavour intensity.

Wooloomooloo Steakhouse, Mayura Station Chocolate Fed Wagyu Ribeye 340g 550-day grain fed I marble score 8-9 Isouth australia
550-day grain fed I marble score 8-9 I south australia
Because we were splurging, Mayura Station chocolate fed wagyu ribeye. 

Wooloomooloo Steakhouse, Mayura Station Chocolate Fed Wagyu Ribeye 340g 550-day grain fed I marble score 8-9 Isouth australia

Meat's tender with texture, laced with melty intramuscular fat and the flavouring was nice with just salt.

Wooloomooloo Steakhouse, sauces

I remember their sweet peppercorn sauce from the last time and it tasted like how I remembered it. Still my favourite among the four followed by the red wine Madeira. The au jus and ginger ponzu ties in the third place though that au jus seemed just appropriate with the Mayura Station wagyu. Maybe the ginger ponzu is last then. It's not bad tasting, just not so much my thing with steaks.

Wooloomooloo Steakhouse, coffee

Coffee's bitter and not bad.

Wooloomooloo Steakhouse, elderflower cake, gorgonzola ice cream, fig compote

This dessert was called Gorgonzola & Figs. So it's an elderflower cake with Gorgonzola ice cream and a fruity fig compote. Nice.

Wooloomooloo Steakhouse, Swissotel The Stamford
Wooloomooloo Steakhouse, Swissotel The Stamford

No comments: