Monday, October 06, 2008

Mixed beef laksa from Hong Heng


Quite an interesting find by happenstance at Hong Heng Beef Noodle & Katong Laksa (Blk 233 Ang Mo Kio Ave 3, #01-1194 Bing Garden Eating House). They're at the coffee shop where Uncle Leong Seafood is located in Ang Mo Kio. I was initially drawn to this stall because of their regular soup beef noodles with kuey teow. The laksa option caught my attention and I wasted no time giving it a go.

I'm not sure about the Katong Laksa referenced in the name up there but the gravy which didn't even have the right viscosity didn't taste like any of the Katong laksas I've had before. The flavour was not bad, albeit a little watery and served just lukewarm instead of hot. That's pretty much the only gripe I have. The toppings of the beef and other cow offal were delicious and not over cooked. The tendons in the bowl looked rather raw and gave me pause initially. As I put them in my mouth I realised that they fell apart easily in the mouth with little chewing. On the side, they had some pretty nice chinchalok chilli.


Notable mention goes to their beef balls which despite their regular looking appearances, didn't taste so regular. These meaty tasting ones certainly were nothing like those regular mass produced variety. I quite liked them.

4 comments:

ah Teo said...

ooh...looks good...esp the beef. do they have the option of laksa chilli to make them more spicy?

LiquidShaDow said...

Actually there is, and I only realised that after I had started eating. I guess it would have been better with the chilli, so that only means that I will have to make another trip down some time.

Unknown said...

Actually standards have dropped slightly at this stall.

Used to patronize this stall often.

LiquidShaDow said...

But they would still be considered to be not bad right? I haven't tried their regular beef noodles yet. I kinda like this laksa rendtion of it and will probably find an opportunity to eat it again. Might be a while before I'll make myself try their regular beef noodles.