Thursday, October 29, 2020

OLD WORLD Bakuteh (老世界肉骨茶), Yishun


Heard about the fried porridge from Old World Bakuteh (Hiap Hoe Eating House, #01-108, 747 Yishun Street 72) so we grabbed the first opportunity we needed to be in the vicinity to visit their stall.

Old World Bakuteh - fried porridge

It was delicious. My mixed pork innards porridge was fried on order and done so in very short order. I had mine on the tray a couple of minutes or so after the order. There's a nice smoky wok hei along with the aroma of hae bi (dried shrimps) and fried shallots. Not the factory variety mind you, these were shallots that were made in house. There were chunks of tripe, liver, kidney, intestines, sliced pork and little cubes of tofu puffs in there. Not as viscous or complex as the one from Dynasty Ipoh but I'd still come back just for this.

Old World Bakuteh - ba kut teh

They served pretty generously portioned pork ribs. For $6, we got four meaty ribs that were so tender that the bone slid of the meat when I tried to pick them up. I liked that there was a mixture of fat and meat. The peppered garlic-ky broth was less intense than I normally prefer but it's not a deal breaker.

Old World Bakuteh - tau kee

Braised tau kee was decent. I liked it.

No comments: