Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Geylang Lorong 29 Charcoal Fried Hokkien Mee & Mao Shan Wang

Geylang Lorong 29 lobster hokkien mee

I'm generally not big on Hokkien mee. Nothing against the local and well loved plate of seafood stock-ed stir fried noodles, I'm just not majorly into them. But easily off my head, I'd rate Nam Sing and Serangoon Gardens Fried Prawn Noodle as more enjoyable eats. Hmmm. Hawkerman comes to mind.

Anyways, I pulled the trigger after reading some off social media. Caveat lector. For something that had been supposedly charcoal fried, I'm not getting any smoky wok hei. The stock for the noodles had the prerequisite crustacean sweetness but I didn't think it was anything that would be wowing anybody for $35. Lobster meat was hard, lacked the subtle sweetness and basically tasted like a big meaty prawn. Not that it tasted bad but it's not what I was hoping to get out of lobster.

Where's the lard?!

mao shan wang

The mao shan wang came into picture because these guys apparently are taking orders for them. I paid $29 for a box. It wasn't much - half a durian at best. So it'd be almost $60 for a whole fruit which I felt was expensive in today's durian climate. The durians were very chilled. It's good msw if anyone was wondering. Just a little too little for what it cost.

Geylang Lorong 29 Charcoal Fried Hokkien Mee

No comments: