Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Funny Lasagna, Alexandra Village


I found out about this place (Blk 127, Bukit Merah Lane 1 # 01-230, Alexandra Village, tel: 6270 5464) from the papers which featured the the chef owner, Peter Bontoi whom has served a couple of "tour of duties" in some other restaurants before opening Funny Lasagna down in this quiet coffeeshop. They've a squid ink lasagna that sounded interesting as described by our 141st(?) media to possess "homemade sheets of inky black pasta are layered with remarkably unchewy pieces of squid".  Whatever that means. Also mentioned was a sauce that is intense, savoury and "dark as night". Heh! Well, fool me twice and shame on me. I must in terrible luck for the stall to run out of those home made sheets of inky black pasta and a sauce that was far from being dark as night. In fact, the colour dark brown wasn't too far off.


Jibes aside, there was a obvious lack of squid ink flavour in the lasagna. Not sure why the layers in between the pasta needed so much tomato sauce which made them too tart for my liking. I would have gotten the regular lasagna if I had wanted tomato sauce. Seriously, why bother with the squid ink option if it tastes like tomato in the first place? The gnocchi were decent, quite soft and came with a predictably flavoured tomato cream sauce. For $7, the portions were pretty generous but the accompanying asparaguses looked and tasted a tad wilted.


To call the cake what it is, this shouldn't be called a tiramisu. A rip off, perhaps. An attempt, maybe. I can make them better myself. And so can my mum in all seriousness. This rendition came with dry sponge fingers and only the top layer that tasted like mascarpone, albeit one with a lumpy texture. The middle layer of cream was definitely not mascarpone and tasted like some hard and dried custard.

The food gets credit for affordability, but at their price point, you do get what you pay for. Wouldn't becoming back in a hurry though.

No comments: