Friday, May 01, 2015

Tanuki Raw, Orchard Central

We walked the narrow path, beneath the smoking skies. Sometimes you can barely tell the difference between darkness...

...and light

Tanuki Raw, truffle yakiniku don

I have heard of Tanuki Raw (#02-03 Orchard Central, 181 Orchard Road, tel : +65 6636 5949) from their association with Standing Sushi Bar which I've never been too. Had never been interested because I've always assumed that since they're both bar and a kitchen and if they're as affordable as they say, neither of which has got to be good. Besides, they're doing a contemporary slash bastardised slash Americanised form of Japanese food. Which is pretty much everywhere so I didn't find them compelling.

Long story short, we heard numerous mentions about their truffle yakiniku don going for an affordable $14.80 at lunch and decided to give it a go. Presentation aside, this was actually pretty good. Though I had expected those short rib to be pan seared instead of just being aburi-ed. I would not mind coming back to eat that again. Oh, I finally figured out that those fox like things lurking at the entrances are actually the tanuki.

No comments: