Tuesday, January 22, 2008

1st attempt at mentaiko pasta


As you might have observed, there wasn't much mentaiko on the pasta. That was because I have grossly underestimate the amount of roe needed. Not to mention, I didn't think that I'll be cooking for 4. Scrapping the eggs out of the sac for the first time turned out to be a messier than I had imagined. The result did turn out to be pretty tasty but I wouldn't call it a success since the main ingredient for the sauce which is the spicy roe could barely be tasted. The ingredients used were modified from a relatively well known blog. The main reason for the deviation was because I couldn't get my hands on some of the items on time and other recipes did suggest other viable alternatives which was obtainable at the said time of cooking. The steps for making the sauce stayed pretty much like the original recipe which I had derived from. Basically, it's a frying of the onions in butter, addition of soy sauce and sake for the reduction before adding the cream and the mentaiko.


The ingredients if anyone is interested are
  • 250g angelhair pasta
  • a chunk of butter (I used SCS)
  • one whole yellow onion, diced
  • 10 soup spoonful of sake
  • 5 soup spoonful of cream (mine was President)
  • 1 sac of mentaiko (I think 3 would have been better)
  • shredded nori
There wasn't any chicken stock readily available so I had substituted that with Japanese soy sauce. It was the closest thing to chicken stock that I could find at home. If anyone has a good method of removing the roe from the sac, please let me know how. Comments and suggestions are welcomed as well.

No comments: