Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Nan Xiang, Square 2


I came by this chicken rice place at Novena (#01-156/159, Square 2, 10 Sinaran Drive S307506) by way of recommendation from a friend and it did look like there wasn't a need to queue or a wait since we were looking to grab a quick dinner. Usually when an eatery is mostly empty, it raises alarms, but I've been having some cravings for chicken rice of late and the food did look decent if unspectacular. From the menu, the chicken rice were sold in combo sets but it is actually possible to order them like how it is done in hawker stores with just the chicken and rice minus the extras. One of the rice option comes in the form of balls. I'm not sure how these are done, but each of these chicken rice ball came in wrappers when served and I don't know how they stack against the original ones from Malacca or even the Goodyear store at Toa Payoh. The rice balls fell apart when I put a fork into them. Taste of the rice itself was quite the norm.

Chicken options are the usual steamed or roasted (fried if you will) variety. Meat was rather ordinary if a little on the dry side. Came drizzled with some unidentifiable and forgettable brown gravy instead of the usual soy sauce and sesame oil sauce combination which did little to help with the dryness of the meat. Doesn't quite stand out.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've heard of this place..and love chicken rice just about anywheres.. :) Loy Kee wasn't my favourite.. but it was convenient for me.

Anonymous said...

their hongkong noodles are (is?) pretty good... but their cashier is so amazingly rude!! after she was rude to a few people in front of me, i told her a smile wouldn't hurt - and she told me to shut up! and said she wouldn't waste time being nice to nasty girls! whoa.

LiquidShaDow said...

Whoa, that sounds pretty bad there. It sounds like behavior for which there is no excuse.

Unknown said...

i haven't tried the chicken rice but the curry puff is damn good!!!